May 29, 2020

Thanks again for the fantastic class. It really helped me through this second birth. I feel like the birth stories of my two daughters were so different, I had to share them with you:

The day before my daughter Matilda was born, I got hit by a major wave of nesting. It was a good thing I got in a nap that afternoon because I wasn't able to even sleep that night due to my contractions starting up. I started timing my contractions around one in the morning, and we arrived at the hospital around two. My water broke--just a trickle--as I was walking into the hospital. Triage was straight-forward as the nurses tested the fluid and confirmed that it was amniotic fluid; when they checked my cervix again after admittance, my water broke a second time--in a gush--and it was discovered there was meconium in the amniotic fluid. The nurses reassured me that it was normal, and there was no rush--I could have the baby vaginally as planned. After hooking me up to an IV (it took them four tries to get...

January 15, 2019

When I found out we were finally pregnant, I was so excited to experience pregnancy but was also anxious about birth.  I loved reading birth stories and talking to other women about their births.  Birth is fascinating to me.  I was eager to have an empowering birth with intentions of not using any interventions unless necessary.  I prepared for this by taking the Embryoga prenatal yoga series two times during pregnancy, Sean and I took the Intuitive Birth class that focused on techniques like mindfulness, I read books like ‘Mama Bamba’ and ‘Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth,’ I talked with other women who had non-medicated births, I stayed healthy by eating right and exercising, meditated, and frequently visualized the birth experience I was wanting.  I played college volleyball, so I was almost treating birth like a big match I had to practice for!

Fast forward to 41 weeks gestation.  Still pregnant.  I had been doing every trick in the book in an attempt to sta...

It was 4 days past my due date and my mother and I were shopping in Costco, one of our favorite things to do together, when I started having contractions every 10 or 15 minutes. This had happened several times already so I didn't want to get my hopes up. When we got home and sat down I figured the contractions would stop, but they kept coming. I told my husband to expect to be woken up in the middle of the night to go to the birth center. I was able to sleep for 3 hours before the contractions were too strong to ignore. I then began to pack our birth center bag. Around 5 in the morning my contractions were 4 minutes apart and 1 minute long and I was vocalizing a lot to help cope. My daughter, who was only 16 months old, woke up and each time I had a contraction the vocalizations scared her. She thought something was wrong with Mommy. That's when I decided it was time to drop her off at Grandma and Grandpa's and go to the birth center. We got there at 7 a.m. and for the next 11 hours my...

I took Holly's class to prepare myself for the delivery of my 4th baby. After having epidurals with my 3 previous births, I really wanted to play a more active role in my baby's birth. Holly's class taught me to relax, helped me cope with some serious anxiety, and gave me some very realistic ways to prepare and plan for my son's birth. She taught me to believe in myself and to be able to handle whatever came. When I ended up being induced with my son, I decided to just try as long as I could to manage on my own, but to also be open to intervention as needed. Things went really well for a couple hours and shortly after breaking my water I hit transition. I listened to my body and knelt on the bed, draping my arms over the top of the mattress. I felt the urge to push, but when the nurses checked me I was at an 8. I asked the nurse to get the nitrous oxide machine to help me manage the pain better, and then the next contraction hit. It was like a tidal wave surge and I knew the baby was c...

February 26, 2018

My Birth Story

By: Brooke Prescott

October 24th 2017 I worked a full 12 hour shift as a Labor and Delivery nurse. My patient that day was so sweet, laboring un-medicated, and still worrying about how I was doing! Before I went home I stopped by my friend Tasha’s house to get a foot and belly massage. As a trained massage therapist she used essential oils and acupressure points to hopefully help induce labor. As she worked her magic I did indeed begin to feel some contractions! As I was driving home I kept thinking, “these aren’t real contractions, I’m just hyper stimulated from all of the wonderful rubbing.” I got home, ate some dinner, and watched some TV. My husband wasn’t home yet as he had decided to go to a concert that night. All the while I am still feeing contractions. At about 11 p.m. I still wasn’t sure this was the real thing so I decided I better try to get some sleep.

About 12:30 a.m. on October 25th I was getting a little more uncomfortable so got out of bed and walked aroun...

February 17, 2018

When my husband and I decided to try for our second child, I was blessed to be working at a desk right next to Holly. I peppered her with questions, and she was always patient and willing to fill my mind with knowledge on how to make this birth experience better than my first. She recommended Kristi Rhodes, CNM, and it was the best decision I could have made. Kristi was my rock, and always put my mind at ease. I was also determined to have a more mindful pregnancy and birth, so I signed up for pre-natal yoga as well. I experienced horrible nausea until I was about 17 weeks, and even though I don’t get very big during pregnancy I also had horrible ligament pain and diastasis recti. I found relief with the help of the most amazing support band ever – the ReCore Fitness Maternity FITsplint.

My due date was June 22nd. I expected to not go in to labor on time since my daughter was 9 days late. However, when June came and went, I started to become a lot more anxious to meet my son. I had REAL...

August 29, 2017

I feel really good about my birth!  My water broke at home at 12:30am. I stayed at home until 4am.When I got to triage and I was dilated to 3cm. By the time I got to my room I was 5cm. I labored in the tub from 7:30-9:30 which brought me to 8cm. I got stuck at 8cm with no progress despite my amazing nurses and many different positions. I got an epidural at 11:20, just in time for anesthesiologist to run outside to see the eclipse. My contractions fizzled of course and so we started the pitocin. I called uncle at 5:30 after still no progress but I still felt in control of the situation. I had a c-section at 6:15. She was OP just like Bristol and weighed 9lb2oz. Not sure if her size had anything to do with it... I did skin to skin right there in the OR. Start to finish 18 hours. I feel like I did everything I could. It was such a better experience!

July 6, 2017

What a beautiful video of pregnancy!  Embryoga class is featured at approx 3:07.

May 5, 2017

Sharing some thoughts....

Module 10 essay

 Please define "implicit memory" and the role it plays in the prenatal period, birth and bonding.

  It is well known now that many physical and mental diseases and disorders are linked to prenatal development, birth, and early childhood experiences. Implicit memory is that memory that is not conscious, but resides in the subconscious and the body tissues themselves.  The body/mind remembers everything that ever happened to it starting from development in the womb.  These memories form “a template response to stress that can last a lifetime and is encoded both in body tissues and emotions at the limbic and brainstem levels”.  This occurs by two main pathways; either repeating chronic patterns of disruption and adverse experiences, or the embedding or encoding of specific disruptions that occur during periods during development that are particularly sensitive. Birth itself can be traumatic even with the best preparations and most peaceful, conscious...

Please reload

​© 2020 by Embryoga-Intuitive Birth. Proudly created with